Wednesday 7 April 2010

Every Day of My Life! - My Second Treasure



Here's things from some later letters from Murray to Byron, when things were going wrong...the intensity is, I think, between publisher and poet, extraordinary. The pain is very real.


25 September 1822

"With regard to my reception of Mr John Hunt whom I was not aware that your Lordship had even seen, he sent up word that a "gentleman" wished to deliver into my own hands a letter from Lord Byron and with instantaneous joy I went down to see him...there I found mr Hunt, and a person obviously brought there as a witness. He delivered the letter in the most tipstave formal manner to me starting me fully and closely in the face as if, having administered a dose of Arsenick, he wished to see its minute operations...if you knew the insulting behaviour of this man...A friend of yours!!! My heart and soul are and ever have been with any and every friend of yours...These have now been sent to him...
READER
I love "tipstave formal manner"!
Murray lists the works of Byron that Hunt has demanded from him, and encloses a rather vulgar, crowing advertisement that Hunt has circulated, boasting that he is now Byron's publisher. Murray continues,
MURRAY 2
I inclose specimens of two editions of your Lordship's works which I am printing in the most beautiful manner that Modern Art can effect - the best proof of MY honouring of your writings..."
READER
and in his next letter, he is actually angry. 11 October 1822
MURRAY 2
Dear Lord Byron
READER
Not, My Lord but
MURRAY 2
Dear Lord Byron

I entreat as a particular favour that you will not place me in personal intercourse with Mr John Hunt, for I have invincible reasons for not wishing to know him. As for my giving myself airs, I can assure you that no one can charge me with any alteration in this respect since I first had the good fortune of seeing you...
READER
And now his very sentence structure falls apart with the passion of his outraged feelings
MURRAY 2
I beseach you not to set me down for such an incurable blockhead as not to think of you with everyone around me as far superior as a man of genius to any man breathing that that (to ?) all the other work together which I publish as a matter of business would keep in the balance of my mind, with yours...this is my opinion from the bottom of my heart and soul...and do what you please...misconcieve my real character...nothing can eradicate this opinion nor anything alter my firm devoted dutiful and respectfully affectionate friendship for your Lordship
READER
He is saying do Byron, who do you think I am? What do you think I am? Wwhat was I to you?
MURRAY 2
"Pray don't attend to what evil tongues tell you come over and see the truth....
READER
and finishes, wearily, and vents his other troubles...offering scraps of himself
MURRAY 2
Poor Godwin
READER
(Mary Shelley's father)
MURRAY 2
has been suddenly called upon for four hundred pounds of rent, which would ruin himn...Shelley would have paid it. There is a committee of which I am one for raising the sum. I have given 10 Gs - I dare say you will give your Lordship's name for 25 pounds. Poor Gifford was very nearly dead three days ago - he is now out of danger - he ever continues your firm admirer

There is a review of Cain in the next quarterly - which I will inclose

I am and ever shall remain Dear Lord Byron
Your grateful and faithful
friend and servant

John Murray

Every day of my life I sit opposite to your Lordship's portrait!"

READER
The words "every day of my life" are underlined.

This is my second treasure



Coming soon: a series of illustrated posts about Caroline Lamb's day book, an amazing private document that is now in our sweaty little hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment